Red Series

Wednesday 26 July 2017

S.B. Book Tag: Day 4

Day four of the Summer Biannual Bibliothon Book Tag has arrived. You can go here to check out the host's post. The tag today challenges participants to find and discuss a book they had rated three stars. I chose The Secret Life of a Witch by Jessica Sorensen. If you want to know more about the book check out Goodreads.


The Cover when I read the book


The new cover

Summary: My name is Evalee, and I have a secret. I’m a witch.

Okay, maybe it’s not that big of a secret. At least not in Mystic Willow Bay where practically every paranormal creature lives.

Still, I have plenty of secrets. Like the fact that I suck at casting spells, which is a huge problem, considering I’m a witch. But I can talk to dead bodies and am secretly working on a spell that will hopefully revive my sister from the dead. Until I perfect the spell, I’ve hidden her body in the basement, something my parents are completely clueless about. 

I’m also in love with my best friend, Hunter, one of the most popular wizards in school and who’s completely out of my league in the dating department. 

But I’m not the only person in Mystic Willow Bay that has secrets. And some are way worse than mine. Like whoever has been stealing dead bodies from the morgue and the graveyard. For what reason, I don’t know, but I’m about to find out because they’ve stolen my sister’s body, and I need to get it back before I miss out on my chance at bringing her back from the dead.


Questions:

1. Why did you rate it so low?



I don't consider three stars a low rating. I see it as average. For the story had a cool concept but in the end was kind of meh compared to what the summary had claimed. More cheap teen romance with magic thrown in than a magical tale with romance and a dead sister's ghost getting kidnapped.

2. Is three stars low on your rating system?



No, it's average but once you fall into two stars territory then yes you've hit full on disappointment level for me. Unless of course, you got three stars because of too many issues. In this case, the story was just very average and less than what the summary promised.

3. What could have made your reading experience better?



A more honest summary of the story. The silly teen romance is all over the story yet the summary barely mentioned it. This book was advertised as a special witch with a missing dead sister, secrets, stealing of dead bodies and necromancy. Instead, there was a clumsy witch whose life seemed to revolve around moaning that her crush Hunter wasn't her boyfriend. The sequel was much worse. Plus the new cover better displays the book is about a pretty witch than the first cover which shows a girl with her finger to her lips surrounded by magic. I just don't understand why the promotion wasn't more honest early on.



Anyway, those are my thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and this book tag has been fun so far.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, oh, hope the writer does not see the review :)
    Stealing dead bodies is such a suitable topic for a teensy novel LOL Today's writers are so inappropriate and unrefined it's getting silly

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad that this book didn't live up to the synopsis! I find it very disappointing when books do that. Hopefully others like it more than you did!
    I'm also glad that 3 stars isn't very low on your rating scale. It seems like a good place to put those "meh" books. Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...