Red Series

Monday 15 August 2016

Monday MishMash and Book Review: Spun by Shyla Colt



Monday Mishmash is a weekly meme created by Kelly Hashway for sharing what's going on in your life and noggin. You just grab a button and post your business...I mean thoughts online. No biggie. Have fun!

1. Came off a real bender last week. All I'll say is that I think I now know what it's like officially to freelance write something you absolutely are not 'in league with'. So that's why I was absent from the blogging verse last week. Finally finished that 'project' for the customer after 5 a.m. this morning and will start to seriously clamp down on my requirement to be contacted first before orders are placed. The stress of that draft...God.

2. Ready to start this week anew and free from #1. So free.

3. Do more reading.

4. Squeeze in more writing time for my own work.

5. Revamp my social media pages this month. Sprucing up is new wrong.

6. Go to bed before midnight.

Book Review: Spun (Kings of Chaos Book 1) by Shyla Colt 

Spun (Kings of Chaos Book 1) by [Colt, Shyla]

Summary on Amazon: Born to a King of Chaos patch holder with a case of wanderlust and a self-centered mother, twenty-one-year-old Nevada Weber is used to taking care of herself. She's spent her life skating by on her wits and pure determination. When she lands in a situation, she can’t haggle her way out of, she’s forced to rely on another brother for help. 

Club enforcer Gage “Wizard” Carmody has done his job too well over the years. Icy and numb on the inside, he walks around in a prison of his making. When the bright green-eyed girl he helped raise winds up unclaimed and in need of protection he steps in seeking redemption. 
In a life where destruction lurks around the corner, they discover something with the potential to bring healing and happiness. But when you live in Chaos nothing goes as planned.
Source: Purchased ebook on Amazon (during free special)

Buy Link: Amazon

Book Review

Nevada has it rough. With a wandering Motorcycle Club father she's left to the care of the other members and not all see a twenty-one year old as off limits if she saws no. In steps Wizard who takes the young woman as his own at first in an effort to protect her but as time moves along feelings begin to grow and change. Let me say this right now. I got this book for free over the weekend and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning reading it to the end. Couldn't go to bed without knowing and under three hundred pages it is a manageable read. Character wise this book is flawless not hiding the good and bad in every character you meet. Yes this is a Motorcycle Club and no they're not angels, yet they still have codes and rules to go by. If you don't like books where males in certain instances dominate women, this book might not be for you. No the book is not devaluing women but in the MC culture males are in charge and there are times Nevada has to take a back seat in following the rules of the club she was born in. Still she is no shrinking violet and Kings of Chaos does not have or want weak willed females in their flock. These biker women are tough and ready to take action when needed. Nevada grows from a shy young woman to a strong female ready to face the world. Plus Wizard also learned to soften his heart and open up to another person completely.

Story wise the book is strong but not perfect. While I do love the book there were a few things that did turn my dial in a less spectacular to bad way. A few times I did feel Wizard use his age and experience to manipulate Nevada somewhat. I knew it was a part of the MC culture the book created but not all of it sat well with me. Also what I truly disliked was the big resolution of a major betrayal to the club. It started as a rival gang attack then turned out to be something frankly rather petty and senseless. Really Fuse and Trixie? Really now? Not worth the price man, dumb set of people. It did not ruin the book but definitely messed with the great story that went on before hand. Also authors please stop going to a big climax then creating an excuse for the main character in that scene to leave or let us know something huge happened off book. Yes it works sometimes but not here.

However story wise everything else shines. Especially another huge twist after the betrayal. Man that was a doozy and Nevada was pretty much bitch slapped with a bus in my opinion (pardon my language). So if you love your romance with obstacles, can read books with a big age difference between characters, love a good story and want to see happy endings earned, then this book is for you. Especially if you love Motorcycle Club books. Then this is a no brainer. Personally I plan on continuing this series because no matter the pitfalls this book was a heart pounding ride. Recommend.

Rating: 3.5 Stars (4 Stars in my heart)

7 comments:

  1. Writing something that doesn't gel with you must've been difficult. Glad you got through it. If I'm not gelling, especially on a moral level, I won't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got that project done. I've had a few challenging freelance and just work-related jobs to do. Sometimes you just have to bang them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we do sometimes hate our employers :) I try to go to bed before midnight every day myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had to deal with an author I wasn't in league with. And online, we deal with even more of them.

    I get up at 5:30 and there's no way I could stay up until midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you finished #1. I hope you get more reading time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go to bed before midnight is a hard one for me right now with the Olympics, but I haven't been staying up to watch all of it the past few days. Still, it always takes me a while to fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great goals and great review! It is the last week of summer for us before school starts and I plan on reading as much as I possibly can as well, although with all that I need to do, that might not be that much but that's okay too, some is better than none. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...